Friday, December 12, 2008

Up Against the Wahl (or Win it by a Whisker)

Since 1997, I've paid for 4 professional haircuts...maybe a total of $50.

In 1997, I bought a set of electric hair shears...the kind the old-time barbers, the real barbers (not that there's any shame in being a men's beautician) use.

Guys haircuts are pretty inexpensive. I don't think I've ever paid more than ten bucks plus tip. It used to average maybe 6 bucks in college. It was about that in the Navy. But a decent haircut in C'ville ran about ten dollars.

Roger Blatchford used to charge a buck-fifty for kids. $3.50 for adults. Summer Mohawks were free.

In the past 11 years, at ten bucks a pop, every three weeks...that's about $1,900 we've saved in my haircuts. Take out the cost of the machine, and the 4 haircuts I've had done professionally since 1997, and we still came out straight ahead.

AND, there's no waiting in line. And I'm pretty sure my barber knows me pretty well.

Wahl makes a great line of hair care appliances...shears, razors, trimmers, groomers, nose-hair cutters, beard edgers...

And Wahl makes them all right here in the United States.

If you're not comfortable with your spouse doing your hair, Wahl also makes dog trimmers, for when Scooby starts to look more like Shaggy.

Go get a haircut!

1 comment:

nutuba said...

All right, I've paid for one haircut since 1987. And no, my hair is not that long. :-)

The great thing about Roger's Barbershop though was that it was a social gathering place. As a kid, I could learn all kinds of advice and information on where to go fishing, how to fix the clutch on a tractor, and how to deer hunt.

Of course, there was always the, "Well, they don't make 'em like the used to," being applied to any number of products or people.

I enjoyed going to Roger's. Never did get a mohawk there though.