Monday, December 8, 2008

The Show Must Go On...

Reminds me of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album...

Today's gift idea is something our family has done annually. It's not the only present we exchange, but it's a great one. Provides lasting memories (with photos taken with my Chinese made camera...anybody know of an American made camera?)

It's a set of tickets to an event...a baseball game, a hockey match, a Broadway show, the local production of the Nutcracker, The Sing-along Messiah. Yes, I mentioned this a few days ago.

Last year we saw Kristin Chenoweth at the Met. Set us back $360 (as do most shows at the Met), but it was a great experience, supporting local musicians and local caterers.

This year, my gift to my folks, in addition to a tin of Harney Tea (www.harney.com) from nearby Salisbury, CT (the actual packing company is in nearer-by Millerton, NY) was 4 tickets to the Rockettes at Radio City. Grandma and Grandpa spent a few good hours with the girls (my girls, and the Rockettes...there must have been 57 legs kicking up there...) before grabbing a train back home.

You gotta change your expectations a bit. You can still open the envelope with the tickets, or an IOU, on Christmas morning. No assembly, or batteries, required.

But the memory of the daughters, wide eyed at the majesty of the Met, giddy with the performance, and daughter youngest falling asleep in my arms with 3 songs remaining on the bill, not even stirring for the encore, is something I'll cherish for ever.

I'll never get that satisfaction from a pair of Hong-Kong made khakis.

No comments: