Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Remember the Archees?

Sugar, ah honey-honey...

So, while I'm handing out hints at what I want for Christmas (did I mention I bought the Minister of Domestic Affairs an American made ice scraper?), let me throw this one out:

Honey!

I use it for baking, for chili, for my breakfast toast, and stirred into my oatmeal.

I've used it on scrapes and cuts (raw honey acts as an antibiotic, and is the only thing that MRSA isn't resistant to).

And since I don't have bees, this year I'm giving out a New England specialty, maple syrup.

Maple syrup is simple, but time consuming. It takes about 40 gallons of maple sap (which is more like water) to boil off and make 1 gallon of syrup. Early in the season, late February or early March, it takes less...about 30:1 gallons to syrup. Late in March, the ratio was closer to 70:1

Lots of firewood and long days boiling off sap. But well worth it.

Last Spring, I made a maple glazed creme brulee, using honey instead of sugar, local eggs, local creme and a reduced maple glaze on top, in lieu of burnt sugar. What a treat!

And not only was this made in the USA, all the ingredients came from within 1 mile of my house.

Consider baked goods, or local foods (either given or received) as gifts this year. No clutter!

1 comment:

nutuba said...

Honey (yes darling), got the hint. Honey is amazing stuff and honeybees are even more amazing. One can do a lot with the wax, too (candles are the obvious things that come to mind). In some countries (e.g., Bolivia), propilis is used for medicinal purposes (and sells at a premium). Bee sting therapy (also called apitherapy I think) has been shown to be effective for treatment of such things as arthritis ... and bee venom cream is effective in fighting acne.

So much more to learn ...