Thursday, January 8, 2009

Outer Limits

Fall of 1989, I drove past Pungo Virginia with a friend, took the Currituck Ferry from Knotts Island, drove a bit on 158, crossed a bridge and found Carolina's Outer Banks near Kitty Hawk.

It was night. I had my trusty Fender acoustic. My buddy was driving and we had a great time regaling the locals on the ferry, and on the beach, while we were out there.

The trip back seemed to take forever, but I remember being in bed before 2:00 a.m...because I had to work the next morning.

1989 was the last time I had been to the Outer Banks.

Until now.

I'm not a good enough writer to describe the joy I felt, spending the week with the Minister of Domestic Affairs (MODA), the young Placid ones, and my brother's family. The company, the food, the sunshine, the sand between the toes (and in belly buttons, and shoes, and pants pockets, and hair, and), the surf, the warm breeze (and the stiff cold wind), the love, the friendship and the laughter are beyond my abiltiy to share adequately.

The young Placid ones earned their (American Made) Junior Ranger badges at 3 national historic areas (Roanoke Island, Kitty Hawk, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse).

I'll admit buying a couple of my staff members some cheap (but kinda cool) Chinese-made souvenirs. But most of our small selection of souvenirs were American made. The best ones are the photos we took. But the lasting memories (this is the first time in a long time I can report feeling the stress completely leave me...however momentariy) are wonderful.

Thanks to NUTUBA and his family, and to MODA and the young Placid ones for a great week at the beach.

THAT was a bit of money that's going to stay in the local economy!

1 comment:

nutuba said...

Yo Bro, we had a great time with you and family at the Outer Banks. They truly are Made in America.

Been listenin' to the King Mackerel and the Blues CD that you sent my way. This is really great stuff! My kids listened to some of it last night on the way home from church and they like it a lot.