Thursday, January 8, 2009

East Asheville Hardware

Why do I push so hard to buy American? Part of it's because I've seen jobs lost. I'm worried about cold-war implications of the mighty power of the US dollar going overseas.

Part of it's because my Dad raised me that way. Our family business couldn't have survived the arrival of Home Depot or Lowes.

And a small part is because of David Wilcox, who penned the song "East Ashville Hardware."

And I'm not sure how much text I can quote without infringing on some copyright issue, so here's a link to the lyrics:

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/d/davidwilcox1052/eastashevillehardware48057.html

"Sure, there's things you'll have to buy at Penny's, Lowes and Sears, but shop at East Ashville Hardware before it disappears." - David Wilcox, 1995

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Barry,

I'm David's manager - thanks for pointing out that great song of his.

You are welcome to quote the full lyric if you'd like - you can get it at: http://davidwilcox.com/index.php?page=songs&display=438&category=East_Asheville_Hardware

I also couldn't agree with you (and David) on this subject more. Fortunately Portland OR where I live has a reasonably aware populace regarding shopping locally,but as good as it is, we still have a long way to go here, and as a nation way further than that to go regarding leaving more of our money in our own communities and nation.

Thanks for spreading the word on this important subject - and also David's music!


Tom Simonson
Simonson Management